A month or so ago I was confronted with that very question, “Did GOD have to make a Way for people to escape the consequences/penalty that HE set up because of sin?” So basically GOD created us, HE created us cable of sin (though HE did not make us sin) and knew we would sin. The question I was asked was did HE have to then make a way for us to be saved from the consequences of the first sin by humans, and from our own sin or could HE have just left us to ourselves and to the consequences/penalty which would have been a physical and spiritual death and eternal separation from HIM?
I immediately said “YES”, HE did have to make a way!! He could not leave us and forsake us, based on the fact that HE is LOVE. I was told “yes, but HE is also JUST. It was explained that being just was being loving. I was told that since HE was just, HE had to have a consequence for sin and HE could also have left us to face that consequence alone and HE still would have been loving. I completely disagreed with that idea. I left that conversation and did a whole lot of digging in the word, seeking GOD and pondering this question.
It helps me to put my thoughts on paper so to speak, so like I have done with different subjects throughout the years I am going to share my thoughts on this subject right here on my blog.
I want to start by looking at the definitions of Love and Just.
- Agapao is the original greek word for LOVE as in John 3:16… “For GOD so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever
believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
- agapaó: to love. I love, wish well to, take pleasure in, long for; denotes the love of reason, esteem.
- Agape is the original greek word for LOVE as in 1 John 4:16 … We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us. GOD is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
- agapé: love, goodwill, benevolence, good will, esteem;..
- bbenevolence: disposition to do good. an act of kindness. a generous gift. Synonyms: favor, boon, courtesy, grace, indulgence, kindness, mercy, service, turn
- So GOD would be benevolent: marked by or disposed to doing good. Synonyms: beneficent, humane, benignant, compassionate, good-hearted, kind, kindhearted, kindly, softhearted, sympathetic, tender, tenderhearted, warmhearted.
- Webster definition of Love: strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties. affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests. an assurance of affection. warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion. unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another: as the fatherly concern of God for humankind. brotherly concern for others. a person’s adoration of God. Synonyms: affection, attachment, devotedness, devotion, fondness, passion.
Tsaddiq is the Original Hebrew word for Righteous as in… Psalm 7:11 God is a righteous judge, And a God who has indignation every day and in Ezra 9:15 “O LORD God of Israel, You are righteous, for we have been left an escaped remnant, as it is this day; behold, we are before You in our guilt, for no one can stand before You because of this.”
tsaddiq: just, righteous
Websters definition of Just: having a basis in or conforming to fact or reason : reasonable. faithful to an original. conforming to a standard of correctness : proper. acting or being in conformity with what is morally upright or good : righteous being what is merited : deserved. legally correct : lawful. Synonyms: competent, condign, deserved, due, fair, justified, merited, right, rightful, warranted